Awareness of the effect of body language and non-verbal communication is essential for assertiveness. You can engage people’s interest, convey empathy, and maximize the likelihood of being heard and understood all in the way you present yourself.
Good non-verbal communication involves being aware of the following;
- Space – respect personal distance
- Posture – lean forward, face the person, relax your arms, keep your head up
- Gestures – nodding, using your hands, maintaining good eye contact
- Facial Expressions – smiling, laughing, looking serious when discussing serious topic
- Voice Tone – even tone of voice, volume